You won’t be fighting gravity. The 800 pounds or more of Epsom salt in the water takes care of that while you lay on your back. Water is kept at 93.5 degrees. This is skin-receptor neutral, which means you lose track of where your body ends, and the water begins. Your ears are just below the water, and the cabins are insulated against sound. Noise from the outside does not reach you. During your float the outside world is gone, and amazing things happen. It turns out that when you are not fighting gravity or constantly taking in information, your body has a lot of extra resources at its disposal. Your mind is free to mull things over without distraction, your brain pumps out dopamine and endorphins, and your body gets to rest, de-stress, and heal.
Years of well-documented tests show that floatation therapy not only has an immediate effect on pain relief and elimination of stress, it also promotes ‘whole-brain’ thinking. Many athletes, writers and artists have experienced enormous benefits from floatation therapy. People suffering from injuries, and back problems in particular, have praised the treatment extensively.
Athletes and professional sports personalities use floatation therapy to help ease muscles in post-training and to enhance performance by using visualization. 2015 Superbowl teams, New England Patriots, and the Seattle Seahawks both use floatation therapy as a tool to improve their performance, they were the only two teams in the NFL to do this, http://www.floatpod.com/feeling-super-super-bowl-float-pod-welcomes-teams-float/. Floatation therapy has also substantially benefited sufferers of sleep deprivation and jet lag. Due to its mentally nourishing qualities people with stress related problems and lack of concentration have also felt a great benefit.
Once settled into a floatation session, brain waves will start to revert to a state usually experienced before waking or going to sleep. This highly relaxed state is prone to encouraging clearer thoughts with moments of realization and improved rationale, and problem-solving skills. Some users have stated floatation therapy has increased their creativity and provided a feeling of deep tranquility. It is also documented that one hour spent in a floatation device can provide as much benefit as four times the amount of time spent sleeping.
Research has shown that these pleasant experiences are triggered by a release of endorphins, which stimulate the brain giving a natural high. Due to these unique qualities floatation therapy has gained increased usage for treatments of problems relating to substance abuse and depression.
Floatation therapy is good for generally raising levels of concentration and creating thinking and has proven particularly useful in improving revision skills.
Floatation Therapy for pregnant women within the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, can offer a brilliant level of relaxation, and pain relief not found anywhere else. It allows the mother to escape the added weight of pregnancy by floating in a weightless environment, thus taking the strain off the body and spine. It promotes excellent sleep, a lovely sense of well-being, and can help with all the aches and pains normally associated with pregnancy. In addition, the Epsom salt solution will decrease inflammation and the pregnant mom will absorb lots of magnesium from the solution in the float tank.
There are often comments about the ‘mirror effect’ of the baby floating in the womb of the mother, and the mother floating in the womb of the tank and the spiritual/communal pleasure for the mother in this regard, deepening her connection with her baby.
General Well-being: Float Tank Benefits!
- Promotes total calm and peaceful relaxation
- Eliminates fatigue and jet lag
- Improves sleep
- Alleviates stress (mental and physical)
- Energizes, rejuvenates, and revitalizes
- Increases motivation, diminishes depression, anxiety and fear
- Facilitates freedom from habits, phobias and addictions
- Mental benefits of floatation
- Stimulates left / right brain synchronization
- Shifts brain waves from beta to lower frequency alpha, theta, and even delta
- Creates mental clarity, alertness
- Increases creativity, problem solving
- Heightens visualization
- Deepens meditation
- Expands awareness, intensifies acuteness of all the senses, accelerates learning
- Enhances hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis
- New studies for PTSD sufferers have shown highly positive results when floating
Physical benefits of Floatation Therapy
- Decreases production of cortisol, ACTH, lactic acid, and adrenaline
- Increases production of endorphins
- Helps prevent sports injuries and speeds up rehabilitation and recovery
- Relieves pain (arthritis, migraines, injuries, etc.)
- Boosts immune function
- Improves circulation and distribution of oxygen and nutrients
- Reduces blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption
- Improves athletic performance
- Amazing results for those suffering from Fibromyalgia
- Skin conditions such as Psoriasis & Eczema
- Post-Natal depression